Paying the Piper

Sunday we went to the Alaska State Fair. I usually dread it for the enormous unsatisfying cash-suck it represents, and this year was no different. The kids like it, and my wife tells me I have to go, so I really have no choice in the matter. I go just about every year, and every year I like it a little less.

There is one saving grace of the whole swindle, though: Pork Chop on a Stick. If there is better proof of man having reached the pinnacle of evolution, I don't know what it it. I mean, it's a pork chop. On a stick. The perfect food on the perfect delivery system. Brilliant.

I had 3 of them.

I also had a cinnamon sugar elephant ear, an ice cream cone, some sub-par pulled pork BBQ, french fries, and probably a bunch of other stuff that got lost in the severe insulin imbalance that characterized my day.

I walked out of there hating myself more than usual. Except for the Pork Chop on a Stick part, which was totally worth it.

Monday Pete and I did a few of the more punishing climbs in the area so I could simultaneously beat myself up about eating so much crap and yet still feel superior to another rider. Given the amount of walking around I did at the Fair, I probably burned a majority of the calories I consumed, but I made sure I knocked off a few more today just in case. 

The small rain drops were not enough to cool you down as you climbed, but more than sufficient to chill you on the descents. Bastards. Still, given the alternatives to this ride were not riding at all and getting fat or riding on the trainer, I think it was a pretty pleasant day. Pete was muttering what I can only assume were profanities between grunts and groans, which rose in volume and frequency every time the road turned upwards. Therefore, he may have a different perspective on how nice the ride was. You just can't please some people.

Tuesday is the last crit of the year (and also the last road race), which means I may be forced to do something incredibly stupid while I still have the opportunity. Next year I may not be able to, and it would be a shame to waste the chance to be an idiot. 

I rarely do,


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.