Don't Go There.

Remember when you were a kid and you would avoid stepping on a particular color tile or other portion of the floor because it was "hot lava" and would burn you? You'd go through all sorts of contortions to avoid being incinerated as you navigated to a given destination.
 
My life is like that recently.
 
Certain movements encourage searing pain to shoot across my hip. Unfortunately, these movement are integral to activities I do every day. Getting in or out of bed, a chair, my car, opening a door, reaching for the phone... I've learned when to expect "hot lava", and I can either find another way to do the movement or just brace myself for the pain.
 
Sometimes I get caught unprepared, and it usually results in a whimper or other involuntary sound. The other night my wife witnessed such an incident and remarked, "I've never heard you make that noise before. It kinda freaked me out." I just sit a still as possible until the pain passes, then try to get on with my life.
 
The drugs don't even begin to blunt the lava's ferocity, and I'm running out of the "good" stuff. To be honest, I'm not sorry to see them go. If they aren't helping the worst of it, they aren't worth it to me. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen can even me out and I can gut out the rest.
 
At this point I'm a little afraid of trying to throw my leg over the top tube on the trainer. The bruising, swelling, and blood-pooling has stabilized and receded to a point, but I'm still hobbling around. If I rush it, I might make things worse.
 
I might step in lava.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.