Targeted Marketing.

It used to be all of the ads that would pop up on my social media time-wasting applications were for poorly-manufactured carbon wheels, kit I wouldn't be caught dead wearing, "sales" that were too costly to be true, and other things related to a bike junky. Mostly I ignored them, because they distracted me from my true purpose on the internet- finding out what really happened to the actress who played Jo on the "Facts of Life"- what she looks like now will astound you! Still, the marketers pretty much had me and my interest(s) pegged and were jamming as much as they could through my eye-holes.
 
Lately, however, there's been a shift. Now I see ads for vintage orange shag carpet, RV blackwater tank additives, and remanufactured auto parts for Chevy G30 vans. I guess my browsing habits really have changed, the computer algorithms that rule our collective existence have taken note, then they pivoted without missing a beat. Impressive.
 
The way I see it, it keeps them on their toes. Just when they think they have me figured out, I come out of left field with some oddball interest. Today it's RVs, and tomorrow it could be bird watching or electroshock therapy. Variety is the spice of life.
 
After ten years of grinding away in the futile hope of ever being good at this sport, it's good to step away and rack up the bike for a few weeks. The way the break was initiated could be better, but I can't see this as anything but healthy in the long term. Sure, I'm gaining weight and losing muscle mass. It's equally true that I already had too much of the former and too little of the latter. But something between the ears was feeling a bit fatigued. I needed a change, although I'm not sure how many more pavement-induced changes my body can stand. Changes hurt, and these days they hurt more and longer.
 
Oh well, time to paint a really cool Pegasus mural on the side of the shagging wagon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.