New Cars.

I'm not much of a car collector anymore. I just see them as a way to get from point A to point B, and as long as they run reliably and fill the purpose they were intended for, I don't give them a second thought. My idea of fun is not going down to the dealership and seeing what new marvels they have. My Toyota Matrix is a base model from 2006, which was a replacement for the exact same car when that one was totaled. My plan is to drive it until it falls apart, which, judging by my current mileage, will be in about 20 years.

I bought my late father-in-law's 2007 Honda Fit on a whim, mainly because it was mint, extremely bare-bones, had a manual transmission, and gets great gas mileage. Didn't really need it, and it really isn't going to save me a ton of money over my Matrix, but it's kinda fun to drive a stick again.

My wife, however, likes new cars. She's been begging me forever to replace '11 Honda Pilot. I was hoping the Fit would quiet her yearnings for a while, since she's taken it over for the better gas mileage (twice what the Pilot gets). However, when my mother-in-law got a new car, my wife started looking again.

This time she went with a Toyota Highlander hybrid, which gets great gas mileage but has no hitch and anemic power. It's all pretty inside, so my days of hauling lumber in her car are pretty much over. Guess I'm installing a hitch on the Matrix and using my cargo trailer in the future. I expect this car will last about seven or eight years before we trade it in, given the usual lifespan of hybrids and how they're designed to be disposable. That sort of thing works for her, but less so for me. Then again, I'm the guy who is sticking with rim brakes and 10 speed groupsets for the most part.

Oh well, she seems happy. That's kinda important when you spend so much time away from home. Money may not buy happiness, but it does buy cars. If being surrounded by new-car smell instead of the stench of a decade's worth of kid-dropped french fries makes her happy, who am I to question it? She has enough stresses in her life these days.

I don't think for a minute this will give me carte blanche to go out and buy a new bike or whatever, even if I wanted/needed/lusted after one. Not how it works. I'm trying not to buy anything online while I'm gone, hopefully saving a bit of money and reducing the clutter I spent all summer removing from my house. I still have a long way to go, so adding to the pile doesn't seem like a good plan. More clutter won't make me happy. Quite the contrary.

When I buy stuff these days, I'm trying to buy things that will last and have utility, rather than things that will become clutter or trash. It's not always easy, when so much of what is out there is designed with a finite service life. Still, I think it's a worthy goal, and one I'll pay extra for.

My wife may disagree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.