Taking No Chances.

 In my partial purge of junk from my house (some of that stuff I need), I would periodically load up my trailer and make a trip to the dump to avoid the giant piles tippingover and flowing back into the house. My wife got into the spirit of things and started adding to the pile, which made it grow faster than I could haul it away. Then the rain came.

I covered it as well as I could with tarps (because, Alaska), but Iknew it was only a matter of time before the rain seeped in and turned the boxes and bags into heavy mush. I needed to get this stuff gone. So, while the cold rain poured down my back, I toted the junk off, load by load. I could feel my body contract as I worked, but I knew I had to get it done before I left for the radar site.

Yeah, I got sick.

Normally, the sniffles are not a big thing, but in the age of the 'Rona, a runny nose is viewed as a serious threat. Run down the list of COVID-19 symptoms and you'll see a bunch that look like what you get with the common cold. I can still smell my dog's farts, so I should be in the clear. Standard drugs and bed rest for me.

The rain would stop here or there for a couple hours, and I was severely tempted to grab my bike and go for a ride, but making things worse and running a temperature would keep me off the plane. No plane, no work, no paycheck, no mortgage payment. So yeah, as much as I wanted to, I didn't ride.

There was a time not too long ago I would ride in pretty much anything as long as there wasn't ice or snow on the road. I'd feel disappointed in myself if I didn't. It was a point of honor with me. Ride whenever you can because soon enough you'll be stuck on a trainer.

Now life has placed me in a situation where I haven't been riding much, my body has deteriorated significantly, and I am presented with far more excuses not to ride than I am with pro-riding ones. I know maintaining some sort of fitness will keep the COVIDs away, but my Suitcase of Quit is mighty full these days. I've been listening to arguments on both sides of the debate, and at the moment I'm finding the pro-couch side compelling. The longer I listen, the more sense they make.

Stay warm and dry inside and nobody will mistake you for Typhoid Mary.

I really would like to ride my bike. I know once I settle into it I will have a great time. I know my physical and mental health will improve. In fact, pretty much everything will get better.

Still, right now it's better to hunker down with a fuzzy blanket and hope I don't get turned away at the gate on my departure date. Then I can settle into a steady trainer diet and rebuild myself while I'm away from pavement and huge piles of accumulated junk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.