F-56 Project.

Lance Armstrong had the F-One group, which was a collaboration of all of his sponsors to find a plausible explanation for his performances that didn't mention systematic doping. The

I have the F-53 Project, which is named for my current body fat percentage and is primarily concerned with maximizing the performance gains from a diet composed exclusively of simple carbs and trans fats. And self loathing. Lots and lots of self-loathing.

This Sunday a grainy video emerged from my secret testing grounds, where I was fine-tuning my time trial position to take advantage of the unnatural aerodynamic fairing that droops over the top tube. It's all about minimal gains.

Actually, Dark Lord of the Sith Bill Fleming and I were doing intervals around the track at the Dome, an inflatable arena in Anchorage that houses a full-size soccer/football/whatever pitch and a couple smaller practice fields, all ringed by a flat, five-lane running track. Bill brought up the possibility to me when I dropped by the Trek Store, and thus we found ourselves doing laps at 7:00 AM on a Sunday.

I'm hoping this option continues, because it's a great alternative to the trainer. Some people laughed or made derisive comments when I posted about it on FaceSpace, saying that there's still a lot of singletrack and fatbike riding out there. They can't understand why anyone would want to ride around in circles on the world's flattest velodrome.

A few others agreed with me that this was a really cool venue. They get it. I wouldn't want to run races or large groups through there, but a few riders doing intervals would be a good fit. Triathletes preparing for winter or spring Hawaiian events would be a great match for the track. Those of us who hate doing mind-numbing TT intervals on the trainer could use the space as well.

Put it this way- the 90 minutes I was on my TT bike on Sunday was the longest single stretch I've been on it since about 2009. A couple sessions like that will equal the total time I spent on it this season during races. A month or two of that can't help but improve my comfort and performance on the bike, and maybe help break up the monotony.

It's worth a shot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.