Letting It Go.

I used to beat myself up when I found errors in something I wrote after it was published. While I have a loose allegiance to grammatical norms, I do get a little wound up when I leave out a word, misspell something, or use the wrong word. While the overall message may be understood, and the reader may unconsciously correct the error and never realize it was there in the first place, it still bothers me.
 
When I was cranking out two or even three posts a year, this wasn't such an issue. I had plenty of time to edit and revise my prose to the point that every little turd shone as brightly as Shakespeare's best. On a good day, I count myself among the best 1,000 middle-aged road cycling bloggers in the Pacific Northwest (to include the Yukon). I've got mad skills, yo.
 
Now that the volume has increased to a virtual torrent of inane ramblings, the number of errors has risen exponentially. Sometimes they dig at me and I go back and edit the post, even if the substance of the post doesn't warrant it. While my Micronesian minions are likely printing out each entry on archival stock paper to bind into gold-leaf editions, most of my readers see them as a way to pass the time when they poop. Nothing more.
 
These days I try to let it go as much as possible. It's a blog, which is a format that died around the same time AOL stopped being relevant. Even worse, it's a cycling blog, mainly dealing with a sport that nobody cares about. To take it a step further, it's about amateur racing, which counts its fan-base in negative integers. The more you look at it, the less it matters.
 
I may fix errors. I may not. I find my level of give a shit varies from day to day. Sometimes it's a nice distraction and sometimes it's a chore. My main concern is usually spelling derailleur correctly, and the rest is just fluff to give me an excuse to use the word. Makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about. No doubt there are glaring and egregious errors in this post, and I'll try to ignore them too.
 
I suggest you follow my lead in this regard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.