All Apologies.

I take great pride in being a colossal douchebag.
 
Wait, perhaps that's overstating it a bit. Rather, I have come to recognize my innate douchebagousity, openly acknowledged it (embraced it even), and have tried to use this new self-awareness to achieve the highest of purposes: winning bike races nobody cares about.
 
Such power does not come without a price, though.
 
I can be a complete dick, even when I'm not trying to be one. Don't get me wrong, 99% of the time I completely relish the opportunity to be an insensitive, hyper-direct, sarcastic asshole. That's just me being me.
 
However, there are times where I'm completely focused on something (like the aforementioned races nobody cares about), and I unintentionally blow off somebody who has the audacity to say something like, I don't know, "hello". Dirty bastards are trying to throw me off my game.
 
These are usually people that I genuinely like, and I apologize for being a dick in these situations. I don't have much processing power between the ears, certainly not enough for multitasking, so when I'm focused on something I generally glitch when another task is added. I don't acknowledge greetings or engage in banter. I grunt. I brush by, and I regret it later. I truly am sorry about that. It wasn't intentional, it was just my sole superpower manifesting itself.
 
I remember when I was a new guy in the local cycling community, recognized a face, initiated some sort of dialog, and was shut down. Now I see that the middle of their intense time trial warmup interval is probably not the best time to engage in idle banter. Likewise, immediately after the race, when they're liberally coated with sweat and snot (with a liberal sprinkling of road grime for highlights), cross-eyed from the final push to the line, and struggling to pump as much air back into their bodies as possible is also probably not a great time to chat. Their lack of chattiness isn't necessarily about you. In my case it may be about me, because I'm a dick. Giving people a little space on either end of a race is probably a good practice, other than a brief word of praise/consolation that can be effectively answered with a guttural sound.
 
I will make an effort in the future, because making new racers feel welcomed into the community increases the chances that one day they will be old racers. As long as they are slower than me, I'll do everything I can to keep them around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.