Unfamiliar Territory.

Recently I've come to the same conclusion every time, and it's not one normally associated with me and my decision-making process.
 
I don't need that. 
 
I'll get on eBay and look at frames, narrowing the choices down to some swooping carbon or classic metal design. I'll compare the design specs on various websites, further separating the wheat from the chaff. I'll pick the best color to match my team's kit or my dreamy eyes or whatever. I'll refine it down to one choice that meets all of my criteria.
 
Then I'll delete it.
  
A new bike won't make me faster. Most of my bikes that are far faster than I am. Cutting a few ounces of weight off the frame isn't going to offset the tens of pounds around my waist. There aren't any paved road-specific roles that can't be filled with whatever I have in the garage now. Sure, I'd love a titanium bike that could handle larger (700x32c+) tires and full fenders for exploring, but it isn't a must-have. I have too many bikes as it is.
 
I have too many bikes as it is.
 
When a gear-whore comes to that conclusion, it usually indicates their enthusiasm for that particular pursuit is waning. Thing is, as far as I can tell mine isn't. I just looked around the garage and realized that I might just have more than I need.
  • Trek Madone 6.9 dedicated to road racing. Light and versatile.
  • Trek Madone 6.9 SSL dedicated to crits. Low and mean with a clown on top.
  • Fuji Aloha for time trials. More aero than my gut is.
  • Trek Madone 5.2 Pro for serious, nice weather training. Truly love that bike.
  • Russian titanium bike for marginal conditions and travel. Bombproof performance.
  • Storck Visioner dedicated to the trainer. Won't have to rebuild it as often.
  • Ridley Orion waiting to be sold. Letting go of certain bikes can be a problem for me.
  • Trek Madone 5.2 frame that I never got around to building. Maybe someday.
To be honest, most of my bikes sit around for the vast majority of the year. The titanium bike and the 5.2 Pro probably see the most miles on the road. The Storck won't likely leave the trainer. The race bikes only get pulled down on race day or to be modified/rebuilt/test-ridden, then they go back up on the hooks.
 
Far faster riders than me get by with far fewer bikes. I really don't need any more.
 
I still look, because it's fun. I still get the urge, only to back away at the last minute.
 
Instead, I'll just tinker with what I already have. Swap out components and refine them to better suit their intended roles. Tear them down and rebuild them into something different. That's a lot cheaper and really where the fun is for me.
 
Maybe one day I'll have that gravel grinder or artisan-crafted bike, but I really don't need it. At least for the moment, I think I have more than enough.
 
How odd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.