Reining It In.

"Hi. My name is Mike, and I have an eBay problem."
 
I need to stop buying stuff for a while. Between eBay and MyFace swap groups, I'm in over my head, and I'm not too proud to admit it.
 
Once I get the garage sorted out, I'm going to spend some quality time with the bikes. They deserve it, and I realize now that I've been trying to buy their affections with fancy carbon trinkets instead of investing the time in listening to and resolving their groans and squeaks. We need to work on rebuilding our relationship, because for too long it's been characterized by me heaping abuse upon them (through my fat rolls and my penchant for falling down) and then not cleaning up after myself. They're showing the strain.
 
It's not going to be easy, though. When SRAM first started transitioning to 11 speed, retailers started dumping their stock of 10 speed stuff. Now users are starting to offload their stuff, and not a day goes by that I don't get all twitchy as more "really good stuff" gets posted for sale.
 
Truth is, I don't need it. I want it, but I don't need it. I have three complete SRAM groupsets in reserve. I have derailleurs in abundance. I have wheelsets upon wheelsets. I have a plethora of small and large parts floating around. Everything I need to build yet another complete road bike is sitting in my garage, just waiting for me to get off my ever-widening butt and make it happen. If I wreck a bike or otherwise break a component, I'm good. I've got it covered.
 
At this point, I really need to bolt on some stuff and see what I have left over. Organizing the pile and peering into the dark recesses of the garage might just highlight just how far overboard I've gone. The reality is it's easier and less time consuming to buy new stuff than sort through what I already have. Any day now you'll see me on some reality show about hoarders, half buried under an avalanche of disorganized SRAM 10-speed 11-28 cassette cogs.
 
I need to start. All I need to get going is to take the first step.
 
That, and a big shovel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.