Cut Short.

Some days it just doesn't go quite as I planned.
 
Some mornings I can't get moving. I'll laze in bed, hitting the snooze button so I can get 15 more minutes of pseudo-sleep or surf the interwebs on my phone.
 
Maybe I'll pop right out of bed, only to be attacked by a hacking fit or a pervasive sense of 'meh'. Sometimes I have to spend great amounts of time just getting my sinuses clear so I can breathe. Other times I'm walking around in a fog until the caffeine cuts through.
 
Sometimes the kids remind me halfway through my workout that we need to leave in 15 minutes for whatever before-school extracurricular activity they have signed up for.
 
Sometimes I just plain have trouble reading the clock and doing the math to ensure I have adequate time.
 
Whatever the reason, some days I just cut it short.
 
Usually I find that I push harder, knowing that the pain will only last so long. My averages and peaks go up, resulting in a similar Training Stress Score and a higher Intensity Factor than a longer workout would have achieved. For the most part, it's all mental.
 
I wish I could pull off that mental state normally, push myself to failure, and then finish out the workout at an easier pace. The adaptations would likely come quicker.
 
Then again, eventually I'd end up with criterium fitness and not much else. Up to 45 minutes I'd be good, and then I'd fall apart mentally and physically. Don't get me wrong- I like crits, but there's more to racing and riding than short-duration efforts.
 
I just need to find a way to switch off the governor and rev this sucker up for longer than a few minutes at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.