Under The Big Top?

Word is the Dome is back open, and cycling is on the schedule for 7:00-9:00AM next Sunday. 
  
I have no idea if this is true or not, because the advertised number on their Facebook page was forwarded during operating hours to another number which then went to voicemail. There is no online schedule I could find.
  
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
  
I really hope it returns. I looked forward to the time I could spend with fellow roadies each Sunday, before I had to leave early to get to Girdwood for Mighty Mites. It's a great change from the trainer. Even showing up with completely cooked legs from a week of intervals, I'd still happily wake up early, pack the bag, load up the bike, and drive to the Dome for an hour of roadie therapy.
 
Sometimes I'd sit in the car because the staff hadn't shown up yet. Sometimes they'd show up after a while, reeking of a night poorly spent. Sometimes they wouldn't show up at all during the road bike hours, with no indication on the posted schedule. The management didn't inspire confidence, and that was made plain when the whole thing came down under heavy snow last winter. It shouldn't have, but it did.
  
Now we're open with a new owner group and hopefully a new start. Hopefully lessons will have been learned and past mistakes will not be repeated.
  
I fully expect there will be some negative things that won't change. What won't change is my belief that The Dome is a hell of an under-utilized resource for the roadie community. The Beaded Stream guys were getting a nice group out there, and smaller groups of ones and twos were starting to show up. It was starting to be a thing... and then the ceiling caved in.
  
If it's open next Sunday morning at 7:00AM, I'll be there. My legs may be limp pieces of goo, but I'll be there. My bike may be encrusted with October's road grime and the drivetrain may sound like the end of days, but I'll be there. 
  
I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.