Big Man on Campus.

I was facing a 12 hour drive the next day. I really should have been banking as much sleep as possible. I'd ridden enough miles. At least, more than I'd done in a long time. Taking a break would have been the sensible thing to do. 

Instead, I went on a group ride. Probably not one of my brighter moves. 

A classmate had invited me along. I listened to his description and decided it wouldn't kill my to wheel suck for a few laps. Of course, I didn't do that. Once I figured out I was the strongest rider present, I was compelled by my innate douchebagitude to let everyone else know it. I'd slowly ramp up the intensity during my pulls, grinding away until I opened gaps that the headwind finished off. It wasn't intentional, but I didn't sit up, either.

I wasn't putting out an excessive amount of wattage, but it might have been for this B- group. We'd regroup each lap, ride easy for a while, and then start again. Grind grind grind spin spin spin. Lap after lap.

From a mental aspect, it was a nice boost. I need to be the big fish in a small pond once in a while to convince myself I'm not wasting my time on this sport. I completely am, but it helps bolster the delusion for a little while longer.

However, it did my body no favors. I got home, showered, and went to bed. Two hours later my family woke me up with a phone call. Unable to get back to sleep, I decided to get on the road early and try to make it as far as possible. In retrospect, probably not the best idea.

But that's a story for another day. Perhaps tomorrow.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Simpson

Narrowed Focus

Perhaps Where I need to Be.